Thursday, March 02, 2006

Ten Books Meme

Thanks to Huw for tagging me with this: What ten books would you want with you if you were shipwrecked on a desert island? They "spot" you a Bible (Douay-Rheims in my case), and you must name the remaining 10 volumes. My answer? Easy: I'd take my laptop and burn my library onto 10 disks...OK, seriously, this is harder than you think, but here's my list:

1. The Orthodox Missal
2. Monastic Diurnal
3. St. Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter
4. The Rule of St. Benedict
5. Forty Gospel Commentaries - Pope St. Gregory the Great
6. Commentary of on the Seven Catholic Epistles - The Venerable Bede
7. Explanation of the Epistles and Gospels for the Sundays and Holydays and Festivals throughout the Ecclesiastical Year - Fr. Leonard Goffine
8. The Philokalia (Vol. 1, if I'm limited)
9. The Mass - Fr. Adrian Fortescue
10. Seeds of Contemplation - Thomas Merton (NOT to be confused with the hideous revision of same, The NEW Seeds of Contemplation. For the record, I'm not an adorer of Merton, but the original Seeds can be read with limited caution.)

Honorable Mention: The Deification of Man: St Gregory Palamas and the Orthodox Tradition -- Georgios Mantzaridis. If I have to include a secular book, it would probably be Right Reason by William F. Buckley Jr., or another collection of his columns.

Four people I'm tagging:
1. Eric John.
2. Fr. John Fenton.
3. Michael Astley.
4. Inquisitor Generalis.

Incidentally, I started a similar thread on York Forum some time ago; this is a subject on which I enjoy getting feedback. My wallet hates it, though. What did I forget?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Huw Richardson said...

What's the one by Goffine? WRO? RC?

5:48 AM  
Blogger Huw Richardson said...

Ooo. FOUND it! That looks really cool.

yo.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Eric John said...

Hey! I finally got tagged! Thanks.

I was also wondering, Ben, if you have ever perused the Antiphonale Monasticum? The one I'm pondering is from Paraclete press. The date it shows is 1969, but from what I can tell, it's a reprint of the 1934 version. At over $50, it's a big investment. I'm wondering how it compares to the LA Press MDN. Any thoughts?

9:46 AM  
Blogger Ben Johnson said...

The Goffine is a gem that excels at tying together the feasts, propers, and readings from a traditional RC view.

Eric, I'm sorry to say I haven't read that Antiphonale. :( Anyone else?

5:13 AM  
Blogger Blogger said...

Ben,

You should enable your "backlinks" feature. Then you can know who responds to this meme. Just go into settings, then comments and configure all the backlinks stuff. Anyway, here's our reply:

http://inquisitorgeneralis.blogspot.com/2006/03/ten-books-meme.html

In Christo et Maria,

Inquisitor Generalis

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home