Friday, January 05, 2007

Good Fruit from a Previous Feast Day Post

A reader, Richard, posted this comment on "One of These Things is Just Like the Other." I've posted it below in case you missed it:

Thought you might be interested to know that this blog posting inspired a research paper for a grad course in Christian History 500-1500, just completed tonight. What I discovered regarding the origins of the common use of this troparion/antiphon was very interesting. Short version is that the Latin is commonly asserted to be an translation/adaption of the Greek; I didn't find any evidence of this. In fact, I found that it's highly unlikely a Marian liturgical text of Eastern origin would survive in the West for this particular feast. Also, while it currently assigned to tone 4 in Byzantine use, 10th and 11th century Byzantine manuscripts show it assigned to tone 1--which is what the Latin version always has been.

And so on. Interesting stuff.


Richard, I'm pleased this blog proved thought-provoking (which is about the kindest things ever said about this blog — as well as one of the rarest). :) I'm happy it piqued your curiosity. I'd be honored to receive a copy. I'd also be intrigued if you could post your conclusions, or if you would be amenable, I'd post the paper in its entirety here.

Thanks; this made my day.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Well, shucks. If I had known you were going to actually post the comment as a blog entry, I'd have proofread the comment more carefully ("adaption"? What's my first language again?) or at least had a little less of my codeine-laced cough syrup (bronchitis is not fun).

[Rutger Hauer]It's all a bit technical,[/Rutger Hauer] with manuscript citations and lots of footnotes and Greek text and whatnot, but I'm happy to send you a copy. I think I'd prefer that a summary of my conclusions be posted rather than the whole thing. That okay with you?

Richard

9:31 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I'm happy to send a copy and have you post a summary of my conclusions and/or any excerpts you find useful to post; I think I'd rather not have it posted in its entirety. If it's junk, I'd rather not have it entirely laid out for the world to see.

Just tell me where to send it.

Richard

9:30 AM  
Blogger Ben Johnson said...

Excellent. I'd be pleased to publish some fitting excerpts. Can you e-mail it? Perhaps we should be in touch offline TFN. Thanks again, though!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I'm happy to e-mail it-- just let me know where. richardtenor (at) gmail . com.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home