Saturday, August 30, 2008

B.C., NOT "BCE"

As a completely off-topic aside, please, in discussing historical events that occurred more than 2008.75 years ago, let's maintain the term "B.C.," not "B.C.E." B.C. means "Before Christ"; in recent times, this has been changed to "B.C.E.," meaning "Before the Common Era." But what do we hold "in common" with those who deny Christ's Birth? What exactly did the Incarnation of Christ establish in "common" with non-believers, except the possibility that we would all become believers? Somehow, I don't think that's what the term's popularizers meant. The requisite division driven into humanity by the great mystery of the Second Person of the Godhead taking Flesh, though lamentable, should not surprise us. It was Christ Who said:
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. (St. Matthew 10:34-36).
But B.C. is not PC; the PC is BCE. So, throw out the PC "BCE" and go with B.C.

BJ, over-and-out.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger VSO said...

Amen to that!

11:00 AM  
Blogger John (Ad Orientem) said...

I have consistently refused to use the BCE. Even in college where BC was considered a no no that's what I stuck with.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Viator Catholicus said...

I recommend using AD even when writing out a check.

Neopagan sympathizers overlook the very important collaboration of Christianity with science to adopt the fairly accurate Roman calendar and establish a common reference point on the birth of the Lord of history.

6:36 AM  
Blogger ValorousHero777 said...

I am 11 years old and I am in sixth grade -- and this is starting to sicken me. I am a full on believer, and the point is that all my teacher talks about is "cave men" "Lucy" and when I wrote down B.C. on my paper, (since it was History time)and my teacher said these exact words, "No,no,no,no. We are GETTING RID of "B.C." because it is too "Religious" and we are REPLACING it with B.C.E."

I replied, "Listen, I will write what is right, you don't have to believe in The One who created you, but I WILL."


I got detention, but I'm proud.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home