Monday, January 23, 2006

A "Conversation" with Frederica Mathewes-Green

I am pleased to link this post by North Carolina Antiochian blogger Huw Raphael -- not so much because I'm mentioned, but because he actually managed to have something approaching a discussion with Kh. Frederica Mathewes-Green on her convert, ultra-Byzantized version of "The Only Valid Orthodoxy™." (Great phrase.) The Western Rite and her view of the atonement (oh-so mystical) are focuses of discussion. "Mama Fred" has often become overwrought in her attempts to differentiate the poetic and superior Byzantine East from the unlearned and barbaric West. Read Huw's attempt to engage her on the diversity of our holy faith, then read his readers' comments below. Well done, Huw!

I am especially humbled Huw linked and recommended an article I wrote in the February 2004 edition of The Lion (although the version published was actually a rough draft, rather than the final version). It is one of my favorite articles, and I am pleased someone appreciated my poor efforts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Huw Richardson said...

Thanks for the link... I'm not really Antiochian, tho :-) Chrismated in the OCA and currently worshipping there. It was the closure of our local Antiochian Mission that caused me to look into the WR, though.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Ben Johnson said...

Ah, you mentioned St. Raphael mission in our correspondence, and I guess I thought you were Antiochian. (Aren't all converts? C'mon, Frederica is.) :)

Perhaps the WRV will get its act together in your area, and we will yet count you one of our own?

Thanks for the great blog and conversations!

God bless,
Ben

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home