Tuesday, July 03, 2007

How Many Recent Western Rite Missions?

On this post Fr. Andrew asked, "How many new parishes of the AWRV [Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate] have been formed in the past couple years?" Taking a quick count off-the-top-of-my-head from the last few months:


Update: Eric Jobe comments, "There is another one in Jacksonville, TX, though I know nothing yet about it. They will be working with St. Paul's in Houston to get started. I believe they are also from the CEC." Thanks, Eric!

I believe this is more than any time in the past several years. Additionally, there are other CEC parishes in the reception or discernment process, and of course there are talks with others yet.

We have much to be thankful for. Deo gratias. May God continue His loving favor in leading souls to His Holy Church.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

There is another one in Jacksonville, TX, though I know nothing yet about it. They will be working with St. Paul's in Houston to get started. I believe they are also from the CEC.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Fr Theodore said...

The church in Oklahoma City will be under "the HOLY APOSTLE ANDREW THE FIRST-CALLED" as Bp Basil put it. I'm assuming they will be called St Andrews. They are led by Mark Wallace. The one in Jacksonville TX is led by Barry Thibodeaux. No name yet. Both are good men, I met them at the Parish Life Conference in Topeka. Barry's group is being taught from OLW, Mesquite and Holy Apostles, Tyler.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Abu Daoud said...

Wonderful news, but can someone tell me exactly how many canonical Orthodox jurisdictions are present in the USA?

Why? I mean, I'm Anglican but I like Orthodoxy, but I just don't get why there are so many. Why don't they unite? I mean, there's an Orthodox Church of Albania, which is mostly Muslim!

I genuinely want to know.

e-mail me at

winterlightning
a+
safe-mail
d0t
net

4:17 AM  
Blogger Eric John said...

Now try opening up a WR Mission in Wisconsin. You know, it's the headquarters of what was, and may still be, a conservative Old Catholic body which actually had a dialogue with the Antiochians decades ago.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Father Aristibule Adams said...

There had been talk about an AWRV mission in Austin, TX as well - not sure how that project is going, but I'm hopeful for it!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Ben Johnson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Ben Johnson said...

Abu, this a pretty comprehensive list of all autocephalous and autonomous Orthodox Churches. Not all of these groups have parishes in the U.S. ROCOR, now in communion with the Moscow Patriarchate, does. The reason there are so many is available on the net. In a nutshell, it has to do with reaction to the Bolshevik Revolution.

Ari, thanks for the news. It would be nice to finally have a Western Rite Orthodox church in Austin, Texas.

God bless,
Ben

10:53 AM  
Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

Thanks for this post. It's wonderful to see the growth of Orthodoxy in the Western Rite here in America.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home