How Many Recent Western Rite Missions?
On this post Fr. Andrew asked, "How many new parishes of the AWRV [Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate] have been formed in the past couple years?" Taking a quick count off-the-top-of-my-head from the last few months:
- Holy Trinity of Lynchburg, VA. Led by Fr. Alban Waggener, formerly Bishop Robert Waggener of the Diocese of the Holy Cross, whom Bp. THOMAS ordained last September.
- St. Paul of Houston, TX. Led by Fr. Richard Petranek, the group received its name about a year ago and was chrismated (and Fr. Petranek was ordained) last November.
- Holy Incarnation of Detroit, MI. Led by Fr. John Fenton, who was ordained in February.
- St. Patrick in Warrenton, VA. Led by Fr. Patrick Cardine, formerly of the Charismatic Episcopal Church, the parish was chrismatied en masse by Bp. THOMAS in March.
- Sts. Peter and Paul in Hot Springs, AR. Led by Fr. John Denzil, formerly of the Charismatic Episcopal Church, who was ordained June 24.
- The new AWRV mission in Oklahoma City, OK. Formerly of the Charismatic Episcopal Church, the group is being formed now.
- A new AWRV mission is being formed south of Boston, MA. All Saints of S. Weymouth, MA, is the parent.
Update: Eric Jobe comments, "There is another one in Jacksonville, TX, though I know nothing yet about it. They will be working with St. Paul's in Houston to get started. I believe they are also from the CEC." Thanks, Eric!
I believe this is more than any time in the past several years. Additionally, there are other CEC parishes in the reception or discernment process, and of course there are talks with others yet.
We have much to be thankful for. Deo gratias. May God continue His loving favor in leading souls to His Holy Church.